CONTEST WINNER: Cornbread Stuffing
- 5 C. crumbled corn muffins or cornbread *
- 1/2 C. butter
- 2 C. fresh corn kernels (about 2 cobs)
- 1 C. finely chopped celery
- 1 C. chopped onion
- 1 1/2 C. chicken stock
- 1 1/2 C. cream
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 1 Tbs. minced sage leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried sage)
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
Place cornbread crumbs in a large bowl.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium low setting. Add corn kernels, celery, and onion. Saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Spoon skillet contents over cornbread crumbs in bowl. and toss to combine.
Whisk together the chicken stock, cream, eggs, and seasonings. Pour over the cornbread mixture, and toss until everything is combined.
Spoon mixture into a buttered casserole dish, and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, then uncover. Bake 20-25 more minutes, or until golden brown on top. OR, use mixture to stuff a 12–14 lb. turkey, and roast as directed on the turkey packaging.
* Note: You can use unseasoned packaged cornbread dressing in this recipe, but you'll have to add additional liquid (about 1 C. stock or cream) or the stuffing will be dry.