Copycat Cracker Barrel Steak and Eggs
Serving Size / Yield
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk baking mix
- 2 pounds bottom or top round steak (cut into four equal portions), pound well to tenderize
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 150 degrees F.
In a shallow pan or bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and pepper.
In a separate shallow pan, combine the egg and water.
In a third shallow pan, pour the baking mix.
Next, coat the steaks in the flour mixture, then dip into the egg mixture, and coat with the baking mix.
In a large frying pan (such as a cast-iron skillet) over medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil until it begins to sizzle. Add the coated steak pieces and fry 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Finally, remove steaks from the pan and keep them warm in a preheated oven while the gravy is prepared with the oil from the frying pan.