Copycat Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
2 hour preparation + 30 min cooking
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 pkgs.yeast
- 1/4 C. water (105-115)
- 1 1/2 C. whole milk
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 C. shortening
- 5 C. all-purpose flour
- canola oil
- 1/3 C. butter
- 2 C. powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 -6 Tbs. hot water
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2 1/2-quart bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 2 cups flour.
- Beat on low for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise until double, 50-60 minutes.
- Turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour.
- Gently roll dough 1/2-inch thick with floured rolling pin.
- Cut with floured doughnut cutter. Cover and let rise until double, 30-40 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula. 13 Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface.
- Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side. Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surface); drain.
- Dip the doughnuts into creamy glaze set on rack then when slightly cooled spread chocolate frosting on top.
- For the glaze: Heat butter until melted then remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
Around The Web