Copycat Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 C. water
- 14 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubbed
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs. chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 C. butter
- 4 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. flour
- 1 C. heavy whipping cream
- 1 C. frozen peas
- 2 C. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 C. shortening
- 5 Tbs. cold water
- For the filling: In 4-quart saucepan combine water, chicken, carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken bouillon, pepper and butter.
- Dissolve cornstarch and flour into whipping cream and stir into chicken mixture.
- Simmer 3 minutes stirring frequently until thickened.
- Add peas and set aside.
- For the crust: Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in shortening until particles the size of peas.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of water at a time over flour mixture and toss with fork to blend.
- Add enough water to hold the dough together.
- Form into 2 balls. Roll out bottom crust on floured surface to 1 inch larger than inverted 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Lift dough off floured surface by rolling onto rolling pin and unroll over pie plate. Ease the dough into the plate loosely and press in place.
- Trim bottom crust even with edge of plate.
- To assemble: Pour filling into bottom crust. Roll out top crust, cut slits for steam to escape.
- Cover filling with top crust and fold top crust under bottom crust. Seal crust and flute edge.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Around The Web