Copycat McDonald's Fried Apple Pies
45 min preparation + 15 min cooking
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 C. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbs. cold butter
- 1/4 C. ice water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 C. peeled apples, chopped
- 1/2 C. apple cider
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs. flour
- Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in the food processor. Cut up the butter into large chunks, and add to the flour. Pulse until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the ice water and pulseuntil the dough is held together.
- Form dough into a 6” disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the filling, combine the apples, cider, sugar, zest and juice, and salt, and cook over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a minute or two more. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Heat cooking oil to 350 degrees.
- Roll a third of the dough into a 12" oval.
- Cut the oval in half, and carefully pile 1/3 cup of filling on one half of each semi-circle.
- Wet the edges, and fold over, pressing each into a turnover shape.
- Seal the edges with a fork.
- Fry the pies for 3-4 minutes. Flip halfway through. Remove when they are a deep golden brown.
Around The Web