Corn and Bean Chowder
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 med. carrots, peeled and cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 lg. stalk celery, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 1 med. red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 10-oz. pkgs. frozen whole-kernel corn
- 2 C. water
- 2 15-16 oz. cans pink beans, rinsed and drained.
- 2 14.5-oz. cans vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
In 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven or saucepot, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add carrots, celery, onion and red pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in blender, combine 1 package frozen corn and water and puree until almost smooth
Add pureed corn mixture, remaining package frozen corn, beans, broth, sugar, salt, thyme and cayenne pepper to Dutch oven; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
Each serving: 280 calories, 12g protein, 50g carbohydrate, 8g total fat (2g sat.), 0mg cholesterol, 1,270mg sodium.