Corn Fritter With Cheese and Arugula
- 6 ears sweet corn, enough to yield 3 C. kernels
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 green onions, including an inch of the greens, finely sliced
- 1/2 C. chopped parsley
- 2 Tbs. shredded basil
- 1 C. grated or crumbled cheese (fresh goat, cheddar, Swiss, gouda or Monterey jack)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 C. flour
- Oil or unsalted butter for frying
- Arugula, stems trimmed, optional
- Sour cream or yogurt, optional
Place the ears of shucked corn stem-side down in a mixing bowl. Use a sharp paring knife to slice off the kernels, but don't slice too deeply. Use the back of the knife to press out the corn milk. Mix the kernels and the corn milk with the eggs, green onions, herbs and cheese and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the flour. Heat enough oil or butter to cover the bottom of a large skillet. Using a half-cup measure, fill it generously with a scoop of the batter and drop into the skillet, flattening slightly with a spatula. Fry over medium heat until golden, about two minutes. Turn and brown the second side. Serve atop some fresh arugula with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt if desired.
Serves 6 as an appetizer.