Cranberry Apple Coffee Cake
45 min preparation + 2 hour cooking
Serving Size / Yield
- 1/2 C. light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 C. cranberries, chopped
- 1 1/2 C. tart apple, chopped
- 1/2 C. cranberry juice cocktail
- 1 C. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 C. whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 C. canola oil
- 3 Tbs. butter, softened
- 3/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 3/4 C. granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
- 1 egg
- 3/4 C. low-fat milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 in. springform pan with cooking spray.
- To make the topping: Whisk brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir in cranberries, apple and juice.
- Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring over medium-high heat. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and the berries soften, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- To prepare the cake: Whisk together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Beat together oil, butter and lemon zest with an electric mixer, first on medium speed, then on medium-high, until well combined.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until the mixture is light in color.
- Add egg and beat until the batter is smooth. With the mixer on low speed, beat in half the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Gradually beat in milk and vanilla.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until a smooth batter forms, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Spread the topping over the batter.
- Bake the cake on the middle rack until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the top and let cool before serving.
Around The Web