Cranberry Bean Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 med. butternut squash (2 lbs.), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 14.5-oz. can vegetable broth
- 2 med. tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh cranberry beans, shelled (about 2 C.)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/4 C. loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 1/4 C. water
- 2 C. corn kernels cut from cobs (about 4 med. ears)
In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat until hot. Add squash, onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer squash mixture to bowl.
In same Dutch oven, heat reminaing 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat; add garlic, jalapeno and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes, beans, salt, sugar, squash mixture, 1/4 cup basil, and water; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir in corn, heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer. Stir in remaining 1 cup basil.
Each Serving: About 353 calories, 15g protein, 68g carbohydrate, 7g total fat (1g sat.), 0mg cholesterole, 854 sodium.