Creamy Chocolate Mousse
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 C. semisweet baking chocolate
- 6 oz. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 tbs. dark-brewed coffee
- 4 cage-free eggs, separated
- ¼ C. rum
- ¾ C. instant superfine sugar
- 2 tbs. instant superfine sugar
In a small saucepan, combine chocolate and coffee. Place pan over a pot of hot water. Stir and cook for 1 minute or until chocolate is melted.
Beat egg yolks in a medium bowl. Gradually mix in ¾ C. sugar. Pour in rum and beat until mixture is smooth. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water. Continue to beat for 5 minutes. Set mixture aside to cool.
Mix butter into melted chocolate mixture. Stir mixture into egg yolk mixture.
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Stir in remaining 2 tbs. sugar. Gently fold ¼ of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.