Creamy Four-Cheese Macaroni
- 1/3 C. all-purpose flour
- 2 2/3 C. 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 C. (3 oz.) shredded fontina cheese or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 C. (2 oz.) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C. (2 oz.) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 oz. light processed cheese (such as light Velveeta) 6 C. cooked elbow macaroni (about 3 C. uncooked)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 C. crushed onion melba toasts (about 12 pieces)
- 1 tbs. reduced-calorie margarine, softened
Preheat oven to 375°. Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Add cheeses; cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in macaroni and salt. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Combine crushed toasts and margarine in a small bowl; stir until well-blended. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Three-Pepper Variation: add these ingredients for a spicier version of our Creamy Four-Cheese Macaroni. Add 1 C. chopped bottled roasted red bell pepper, 1 tbs. chopped seeded pickled jalapeño pepper, and
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper at the same time the macaroni and salt are added.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 C.)