Crockpot Caramelized French Onion Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 recipe Caramelized Onions (below)
- 1 10 1/2 oz. can beef consommÃ©, undiluted or homemade
- 1 10 1/2 oz. can beef broth, undiluted or homemade
- 2 C. water
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 C. dry white wine
- 6 C. large croutons
- 1 C. (4 oz) shredded Swiss cheese
- Caramelized Onions:
- 2 extra-large sweet onions (about 3 lbs.)
- 1 10 1/2 oz. can chicken or beef broth, undiluted
- 1/4 C. butter or margarine
Combine first 5 ingredients in a 3 1/2-quart crockpot. Cook, covered, at high 2 1/2 hours or until thoroughly heated. Stir in wine. Ladle soup into 6 ovenproof bowls, and top evenly with croutons and cheese. Place bowls on a jellyroll pan. Broil 3" from heat (with electric oven door partially open) 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Cut onions in half. Cut halves into 1/2" thick slices. Combine all ingredients in a 3 1/2-quart crockpot. Cook, covered, at high 8 hours or until golden brown and very soft. Store in an airtight container. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 2 months, if desired.