Crunchy Chilled Key Lime Bars
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted melted butter
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 2/3 cup fresh key lime juice
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 key limes, thinly sliced into half moons
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a small bowl. Press onto bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish. Bake for about 10 minutes, until dry and golden brown. Let cool completely on wire rack.
Mix egg yolks and lime zest in an electric mixer on high until very thick, about 5 minutes, then reduce speed to medium. Add condensed milk in a steady steam, mixing constantly. Mix on high for about 3 minutes, until thick. Reduce speed to low, add lime juice, and mix until combined.
Spread filling over crust with spatula . Bake for 5 minutes, rotate dish until filling is set, and bake for 5 minutes more. Let cool completely on wire rack, and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Cut into 2x2 inch bars. Mix cream on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Top bars with whipped cream and a slice of lime.