Cumin-Scented Caribbean Chicken Casserole
- 1 Tbs. plus 1/4 C. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1/2 C. mayonnaise
- 1 C. 6-cheese Italian shredded cheese
- 3 C. chopped roasted chicken (use store rotisserie chicken, if desired)
- 1 C. chopped sweet bell pepper, use assorted colors, if desired (reserve 1/4 C.)
- 2 C. self-rising corn meal
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 C. milk
- 1 C. chopped green onions
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Preheat 10x3-inch casserole dish or iron skillet in hot oven.
In a large skillet heat 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat. Saute onion 4 minutes. Add garlic and artichokes; saute 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add Worcestershire sauce, cumin, seasoning salt, mayonnaise, cheese, chicken and 3/4 C. bell pepper. Stir to mix. Set aside.
In a small mixing bowl combine corn meal, eggs and milk. Stir to mix well. Stir in green onions. Pour batter into hot casserole dish or iron skillet. Gently press batter toward sides with back of spoon. Gently place chicken mixture over batter, leaving at least a 1-inch edge of cornbread uncovered around sides. Sprinkle overall with reserved 1/4 C. bell peppers and parsley. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove and let stand 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutritional facts per serving: Calories 299kcal; Protein 5g; Total Fat 28g; Chol. 87mg; Carb. 9g, Fiber 1g; Sugars 5g; Calcium 109mg; Iron 1mg