Curried Sweet-Potato and Lentil Soup
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 med. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 lg. stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 lg. onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- 1 Tbs. grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) vegetable broth
- 1 16-oz. pkg dry lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 6 C. water
- Yogurt, toasted coconut, and lime wedges, optional
In 6-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes, celery, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, curry powder, ginger, cumin, coriander, salt, and ground red pepper; cooking, stirring, 1 minute.
Add broth, lentils and water to vegetables in Dutch oven; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 40 to 45 minutes.
Each serving without optional ingredients: About 295 calories, 15g protein, 15g carbohydrates, 5g total fat (2g sat.), 8mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium.