Curried Vegetable Stew
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 med. onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 C. small cauliflower flowerets (about 1 sm. head)
- 4 med. carrots, peeled and cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 Tbs. minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with press
- 1 Tbs. curry
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 ts. ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 15-19 oz. cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 C. golden raisins
- 1/2 C. water
- 1/2 C. loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; add cauliflower and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, curry powder, cumin salt and ground red pepper; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add beans, tomatoes with their juice, raisins and water; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce thickens slightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.
Each serving: About 430 calories, 18g protein, 74mg carbohydrate, 10g total fat (1g sat.), 0mg cholesterol, 1,430mg sodium.