Dairy-Free/Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
- 10 to 12 oz. cavatappi or elbow macaroni
- 3 Tbs. unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 C. soy milk, or rice milk
- 2 Tbs. nonhydrogenated margarine
- 1 1/2 to 2 C. grated cheddar-style nondairy cheese
Cook pasta until al dente, then drain. Dissolve the flour in 1/2 cup of milk and combine with the remaining milk, margarine, and cheese in a saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring often. Cover over low heat until the sauce is smooth and thick. This should take about 4 or 5 minutes. Combine sauce with macaroni and a container, season with salt, and serve.