David Venable's Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 med. heads cauliflower, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 4 oz. low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 C. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 5 Tbs. light unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 C. green onions, chopped (optional garnish)
Pour 3 quarts of water in a 5-qt stock pot and add 1 tsp salt. Bring the water to a boil, and then add the cauliflower. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until well done.
Drain well, then pat the cooked cauliflower dry between several layers of paper towels. Remove as much water as possible.
In a food processor or a bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, purée the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, salt, pepper, and butter until almost smooth. Serve immediately with a garnish of the green onions, if desired.