David Venable's Warm Gazpacho With Goat Cheese Croutons
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 14-oz. cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded
- 2 carrots peeled, tops removed
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/3 C. fresh parsley, loosely packed
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 dashes hot sauce
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 C. low-sodium tomato juice
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- cooking spray
Remove the goat cheese from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the gazpacho. Place all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the soup into a saucepot and cook over low heat, 10–15 minutes.
To prepare the croutons, spread the room-temperature goat cheese over two slices of bread. Make sandwiches with the remaining slices.
Lightly spray a medium-size skillet with cooking spray and cook the sandwiches over medium-low heat until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Let the sandwiches cool for 2–3 minutes.
Meanwhile, ladle the warm soup into bowls. Cut the sandwiches into 1/2" squares and divide the croutons evenly among the soup bowls.