Decadent Fruit Cake
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 cup Golden Raisins
- 1 cup Currants
- 6 oz bag Cup Dried Cranberries
- 4 oz bag Dried Blueberries
- 5 oz bag Cup Dried Cherries
- ⅙ cup Dried Apricots, chopped
- ⅙ cup Dried Pineapple, chopped
- ⅙ cup Dried Mangoes, chopped
- Zest of One Lemon, chopped coarsely
- Zest of One Orange, chopped coarsely
- ¼ cup Candied Ginger, chopped
- 1 cup Spiced Rum
- 1 cup Sugar
- 5 oz Unsalted Butter, 1 ¼ sticks
- 1 cup Unfiltered Apple Cider
- 4 Whole Cloves, ground
- 6 Allspice Berries, ground
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1¾ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ cup Toasted Pecans, broken
- Cherry Brandy, for basting and/or spritzing
- Chocolate Sauce
- Vanilla Icing
In a large bowl, combine all the dried fruits, the zests, and the candied ginger.
Add rum and let the mixture soften overnight.
The next day add the fruit and rum to a non reactive saucepan on medium heat.
Add in sugar, butter, apple cider, and spices.
Bring mixture to a boil while stirring constantly.
Boil for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Chop the pecans and roast on a baking pan until fragrant for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Turn heat down to 325 degrees.
Put fruit mixture into a large mixing bowl.
Add the dry ingredients into the fruit mixture.
Stir until combined.
Stir in the eggs one at a time until blended.
Fold in pecans.
Pour batter into a 10 inch nonstick loaf pan or a well greased loaf pan, and bake for 1 hour.
Let the cake cool.
Place cake in an airtight container and baste with brandy.
Continuously baste every 2-3 days.
The cake will be done in about 2 weeks.
Ice the cake with vanilla icing, cover in leftover dried fruit, and drizzle chocolate sauce on top.