Dilled Vegetable-Barley Soup
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium to large onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 C. pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 to 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and sliced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- one 16-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and saute over low heat until golden brown. Add garlic, barley, carrots, potato, celery, bay leaves, and 6 cups of water. Bring to a simmer. Cover and let it simmer gently. Stir occasionally. Let it cook until the vegetables become nearly done. This should take about 45 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and dill, cover, and let simmer again until the barley is puffy and the vegetable are tender. This should take 20 to 30 minutes. If necessary, add more water to change the consistency. Season with salt and pepper, and remove the bay leaves. Serve immediately.