Easy Meatless Greek Moussaka
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 med. eggplants
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1 lg. onion, finely chopped
- 2 med. garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb. Seitan (wheat gluten non meat alternative)
- 2 med. tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped parsley
- ½ tsp. crushed dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ C. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 C. olive oil or as needed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ C. Non-Fat Plain Voskos Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/3 C. freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Begin by removing the stems and hulls from the eggplants. Peel the eggplants or not as you wish. Cut crosswise into ½ inch thick slices. Layer on paper towels and sprinkle generously with salt. Weigh down with a heavy object and let stand 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a heavy skillet heat the butter over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft but not browned, stirring frequently. Add the seitan and cook until lightly browned, breaking it up with a fork. Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, cinnamon, and salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until most of the liquid in the pan evaporates. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Rinse the eggplant slices with cold water. Pat dry with fresh paper towels. Coat lightly with the flour. In a large, heavy skillet heat the oil over moderate heat and add the eggplant slices and fry until lightly browned on both sides, adding more oil as necessary. Arrange half the eggplant slices in the bottom of a shallow baking dish. Spread the meat mixture over them. Cover with the remaining eggplant slices. Mix together the beaten eggs and yogurt and pour over the top. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 375°F oven 35 to 40 minutes or until the topping is golden and set.