Easy Oxtail Stew
Serving Size / Yield
- ¼ C Olive Oil
- All-Purpose Flour, for dredging
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 6 lb Oxtail, cut in chunks
- 4 Garlic Cloves, mashed with salt
- 1 Red Onion, cut in chunks
- 4 Celery Ribs, cut in chunks
- 3 C Crushed Tomatoes, with juices
- Water, as needed
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 lb Carrots, peeled & cut in chunks
- 1 pkg White Mushrooms, sliced
Start this recipe for oxtail stew by pouring your olive oil into a large stockpot or Dutch over high heat. In the meantime, pour about two cups of flour into a shallow bowl. Season the flour with salt and pepper and then dredge your oxtails in the mixture.
Once your oil is very hot, add your oxtails and let brown on each side for three minutes. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside. Continue by adding the red onion and celery to the pot. Let cook for about five minutes and then add your garlic. Let cook for an additional 30 seconds before pouring in your wine and crushed tomatoes.
Return the oxtail to the pot in addition to your bay leaves. Pour just enough water into the pot to cover the top of the meat. This measurement will vary depending on your pot size. Bring the pot to a simmer and continue cooking on low heat for about two and a half hours.
Add your carrots and mushrooms and continue simmering for about 45 minutes or until your vegetables and meat are tender. Serve hot with your choice of sides.