Eggplant Parmesan Soup
- 3 Tbs. Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 sm. Japanese or Italian eggplant, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 2 C.)
- 1/2 C. chopped onion
- 1 pouch Bertolli® Premium Summer Crushed Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- 1 14.5-oz. can chicken broth
- 1/2 C. shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 2 Tbs. Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook eggplant, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until eggplant is golden and tender. Stir in Sauce and broth. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until thickened.
On cookie sheet, place 2 oven-proof soup bowls or crocks. Evenly spoon soup into crocks, then top with mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Serve, if desired, with crusty Italian bread.