Fantastic Sweet Potato Waffles Recipe
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 cups pelled 1/2" cubes red-skinned sweet potatoes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup - packed - light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup - 1/2 stick - unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp freshly grated pelled ginger
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1-1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- nonstick vegetable oil spray
Place sweet potatoes in a steamer basket in a large saucepan of simmering water. Steam potatoes until tender, about 17 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and mash well [or run through food mill if you have one]. Add millk, egg yolks, brown sugar, butter and ginger; whisk to blend.
Preheat waffle iron. Whisk flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add potato mixture and whisk to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in another large bowl until peaks form. Add 1/3 of the whites to potato mixture. fold just to blend. Add remaining whites in 2 batches, folding just to blend between additions.
Coat waffle iron with nonstick spray. Working in batches, add batter to waffle iron [amount needed and cooking time will vary depending on machine]. Cook until waffles are lightly browned and set.
Serve with fried chicken and maple syrup.