Fiesta Chopped Salad
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 ripe tomato, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 scallions (3 inches of green left on), thinly sliced on diagonal
- 1/2 hothouse (seedless) cucumber, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/4-inch dice, tossed with 1 Tbs. of fresh lemon juice (for garnish)
Note: combine the peppers, tomato, zucchini, scallions, cucumber and parsley in a bowl. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the salad and toss well. Correct the seasonings. Just before serving, sprinkle the salad with the avocado. Cut and toss the avocado garnish in lemon juice just before serving to prevent discoloration. Then sprinkle it over the top without tossing, or the salad will be mushy.
Yield: 6 Servings.