Four Cheese Gratin of Cauliflower
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into small florets (4 C.)
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced paper thin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. ground caraway
- 1 1/2 C. heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 C. grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 C. grated Fontinella cheese
- 1/2 C. diced Reblochon cheese (can substitute Comte or Provolone)
- 1/2 C. snipped fresh chives
- 1/4 C. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 oz. of chopped walnuts (can substitute pecans)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large pot, bring water to boil over high heat. Season with salt.
Add the cauliflower florets, cooking until al dente; firm to the bite, about 3 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to colander to drain.
Transfer florets to large bowl. In large nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium high heat. Add garlic if you choose, cooking until tender and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the paprika and caraway, cooking for 1 additional minute. Add cream, bringing to a simmer.
Turn heat down to low and add the Cheddar, Fontinella and Reblochon cheeses, stirring until melted: Do not boil! Remove from heat. Stir in the chives. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper. Pour over the florets to coat evenly. In buttered baking dish, spoon cauliflower and sauce evenly across. Sprinkle top with the Parmesan and walnuts. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Yield: 8 servings