French Creamed Chicken and Noodle Soup
- 2 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 1 leek, including 1" of green, cleaned and finely diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely diced
- 2 Tbs. calvados
- 1 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 3 C. chicken broth
- 1 C. authentic apple cider
- 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 C. fine egg noodles (dry)
- 1/2 C. heavy cream
- 1/4 C. grated gruyere (optional)
Heat butter in a saucepan. Add leeks and Granny Smith apple, cover and simmer until tender, for about 5 minutes. Add calvados and reduce until almost evaporated. Stir in cider vinegar, broth, apple cider and bring to a simmer. Add chicken and egg noodles to broth, cover and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Skim off any fat floating to surface, stir in heavy cream, optional gruyere, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chives.
Makes 4 servings.