French Potato Salad with Savory Vinaigrette
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbs. chopped onion
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ lb. new potatoes (about 12), cut into 1-inch cubes or ½-inch-thick slices
- Savory Vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. fresh summer savory, or 1 tsp. dried summer savory ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper ¼ tsp. powdered mustard Halved cherry tomatoes for garnish
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the bay leaf, onion, and pepper; add the potatoes. When the water returns to a boil, reduce the heat to medium; cover and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender. While potatoes are cooking, whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
Taste and adjust the seasoning. When the potatoes, are done; drain well and remove the bay leaf. Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl, add the dressing and toss. Bring the salad to room temperature for serving.
To serve chilled, it's best to refrigerate the dressing and salad in separate covered containers for up to 3 days; toss together up to 1 hour before serving.