Fresh Strawberry Cream Pie
- 1 qt. fresh medium strawberries
- 1 Tbs. Equal Spoonful (1 1/2 packets Equal Sweetener)
- Pastry for a single-crust 9-inch pie, baked
- 1 1/2 8 oz. pkg. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 C. vanilla-flavored light nonfat yogurt
- 6 Tbs. Equal Spoonful (9 packets Equal Sweetener)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice
- Glaze (optional):
- 2/3 C. unsweetened apple juice
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbs. Equal Spoonful (4 1/2 packets Equal Sweetenter)
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- Few drops of red food coloring
Remove stems from several strawberries and slice to make 1 C. Toss with 1 Tbs. Equal Spoonful. Set aside. Beat cream cheese, yogurt, 6 Tbs. Equal Spoonful and 1 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice until smooth and fluffy. Spread half of cream cheese mixture over bottom of baked pie crust. Top with sliced strawberries. Cover with remaining cream cheese mixture.
Remove stems from all but 1 large strawberry. Cut berries lengthwise in half. Place, cut side down, over cream cheese mixture, around outer edge of pie crust, with pointed end of berry facing center of pie. Make several thin slits in last whole berry starting near top and going to pointed end. Press gently with fingers to form a "fan". Place in center of pie. If not using Glaze, refrigerate pie at least 4 hours before serving.
For Glaze, combine apple juice, 1 Tbs. lemon juice and cornstarch in small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in 3 Tbs. Equal, almond extract and red food color.
Spoon over strawberries and top of pie. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
Yield: 8 Servings