Glazed Ham with Dried Cherry Caramelized Onions
Serving Size / Yield
- 3 lbs. cooked boneless ham
- 4 Tbs. honey, divided use
- 1 Tbs. stone-ground mustard
- 1 tsp. cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1/2 C. dried tart cherries
- 1/3 C. cider vinegar
- 5 medium onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/4 C. almonds, sliced or slivered and toasted
Preheat oven to 325° F. Place ham on rack in shallow baking pan and roast 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a meat thermometer registers 140° F., about 15-18 minutes per lb.. In a small bowl, combine honey, vinegar and 1 mustard. Brush ham with glaze during the last 5 minutes of baking. Sauté onions over medium heat in a Dutch oven in butter for 12 to 15 minutes or until onions are just tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/2 C. dried cherries, 1/3 C. cider vinegar, 2 Tbs. honey and 1/2 tsp. cardamom. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in toasted almonds. Serve ham slices with onion mixture. Makes 10 servings.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board.