Gluten-Free Allspice Gingerbread
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 1/3 C. all-purpose gluten-free flour mix
- 1 C. almond meal or almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum powder (improves texture of cookies), optional
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. finely ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 C. butter, softened
- 1/2 C. light brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 C. natural, unsulfured molasses
- 1 lg. egg
In medium bowl, combine flour, almond meal, xanthan, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, pepper and salt; set aside.
Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg; blend well. Add dry ingredients in 3 batches, blending just until fully incorporated. Dough will be stiff. Divide dough into 2 balls, flatten into discs, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours or up to 3 days.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove one dough disc from refrigerator and roll out between 2 pieces of parchment paper or on lightly gluten-free floured work surface to 1/8-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle cutouts with colored sugar, if desired.
Bake 9 to 13 minutes, until edges of cookies are crisp.Cool cookies on sheet 2 to 3 minutes. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.