Golden Macaroni and Cheese with Caramelized Onions
Serving Size / Yield
- 8 Tbs. Kerrygold Butter, divided, for onions, bread crumbs and cheese sauce
- 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 2 white onions, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 C. white wine, divided for onions and cheese sauce
- 2 Tbs. Balsamic vinegar
- 1 C. panko bread crumbs
- 1 lb. pasta – tube shaped
- 2 Tbs. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/3 C. all-purpose flour
- 1 C. milk
- 1 C. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- Salt and White Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 C. (6 oz.) grated Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese, divided
1. Melt 2 Tbsp of butter and olive oil in large skillet. Add sliced onions and cook over low heat for 20 minutes until starting to brown. Add 1/8 cup of white wine and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add another 1/8 cup of wine and cook until just brown, 30-35 min.
2. Add 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar and cook for two more minutes. Set aside.
3. Boil water and cook pasta according to package directions. I under cook by a minute since I know it’s going in the oven.
4. While pasta is cooking, melt 2 Tbsp butter in small skillet, add panko crumbs and cook on med low heat until browned. Set aside.
5. When pasta is finished cooking, drain and melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter in same saucepan. Cook until butter just starts to brown.
6. Lower heat, add rosemary and saute for 2 minutes.
7. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes.
8. Add milk, broth and remaining 1/4 wine and whisk smooth until thick.
9. Add dry mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Add 1 cup of cheese to pan and cook on low heat, whisking firmly til sauce is smooth.
11. Put macaroni and sauce in large pan with onions and mix well. Scatter remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top.
12. Bake just to warm; 10-15 minutes.
13. Serve and spoon toasted breadcrumbs on top.