Gourmet Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 3 gourmet sausage links, preferably chicken with spinach and asiago cheese
- 1/4 C. finely diced onion
- 1/4 C. finely diced celery
- 1 small bunch fresh chopped parsley, or 1 tsp. dried
- Chopped chives or green onions (optional)
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 3 day-old hamburger rolls or other bread
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 C. shredded sharp cheddar
- Salt and pepper
- 14 ounce large sized white mushrooms
Preheat oven 350 degrees.
Remove sausage from casings, crumble in skillet with small amount of oil. Add onions, celery, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, parsley and chives if desired. Sauté until brown, let cool. Meanwhile, removes stems from mushrooms, wipe clean. Layer mushrooms in greased baking dish. When sausage mixture is cool, add 1 C. shredded cheese and torn up pieces of bread. Beat egg and add it to stuffing mixture. Stuff mushrooms, top with remaining cheese. Bake 30 minutes until cheese is bubbly.