Grandma's Old-Fashioned Potatoes Au Gratin
Serving Size / Yield
- 8 large Russet potatoes or any starchy potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted)
- 2 ½ cup heavy cream or 2 cups cream with 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups any cheese or a mix of two to three varieties
- 2 cups green onions or scallions or chives
Grease a baking dish and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Slice the potatoes into discs or sticks. A mandolin or the slicing blade of a food processor work well here.
In a large bowl, pour in the cream and milk and season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the flour to the milk/cream mixture and whisk well.
Layer the potatoes in the dish for the first layer, pour over a little of the milk/cream mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Continue layering until the ingredients are used up and bake for 20 minutes or till the potatoes are done. Serve hot.