Greek Easter Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 set heart, lungs, sweetbreads and intestines of baby lamb
- 1/2 C. fresh dill, chopped
- 2 bunches green onions, white and tender
- green part only (1 C. chopped)
- 1 romaine lettuce, tender leaves only, chopped thin
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 Tbs. tomato sauce
- 3 C. water, lamb or chicken broth
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 C. lemon juice
Separate and wash all lamb organs. Using a pencil or skewer, turn intestines inside out and rinse thoroughly. Parboil organs, drain, and cut into bite-size pieces. Parboil again for 5 minutes in clean boiling water, rinse well, and drain. Freeze, refrigerate or cook.
Combine organs, 1/2 C. water, dill, green onions and lettuce in a 6-qt. pot. Cook until water is absorbed. Add butter and tomato sauce, stir for 2 minutes. Add 3 C. water or stock, cover, and simmer until tender. Near the end, add salt and pepper.
Beat eggs in blender or mixer until fluffy. Gradually beat in lemon juice and 1 C. hot broth from soup, until well-blended. Return mixture to pot, stirring constantly over low heat until soup thickens. Allow 10 minutes to rest and serve.
This recipe is from "What's Cooking in Niles."