Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 whole fresh poblano chile for roasting, plus 1/4 C. chopped fresh poblano chile
- 1 Tbs. corn oil
- 1/4 C. chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 C. chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 C. fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels
- 3/4 C. whipping cream
- 2 C. freshly cooked macaroni
- 1/2 C. grated Monterey Jack cheese
1. Char whole chile directly over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Transfer to brown paper bag and seal. Let stand 15 minutes.
2. Peel, seed and coarsely chop chile and put in processor. Add whipping cream and process until smooth.
3. Heat oil in large, heavy saucepan over medium high heat.
4. Add 1/4 cup chopped raw chile, red bell pepper, onion and garlic. Saute until soft about 4 minutes.
5. Add corn, still for 1 minute.
6. Add the cream and chile puree and bring to a boil.
7. Add macaroni and cheese and stir til cheese is melted and mixture is heated through.
8. Season with salt and pepper and serve.