Green Pea and Lettuce Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 tsp. butter or margarine
- 1 med. onion, finely chopped
- 1 14.5-oz. can vegetable broth
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen peas
- 1 10-oz. head Boston lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 C. water
- 1/2 C. fat-free milk
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 6 fresh chives for garnish
In 4-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, frozen peas, lettuce, salt, pepper, thyme and water; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in milk.
Spoon half of pea mixture into blender. Cover, with center part of cover removed to let steam escape, and puree until smooth. Pour soup into large bowl. Repeat with remaining mixture.
Return soup to saucepan; heat through. Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat. Transfer soup to serving bowl; garnish with chives.
Each serving: About 120 calories, 8g protein, 17g carbohydrates, 4g total fat (2g sat.), 6mg cholesterol, 829 sodium.