Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. chopped, fresh basil
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small eggplants
- 1/2 C. cream cheese, low-fat whipped, or goat cheese
- 4 pieces of focaccia or other good quality bread, sliced in half, lengthwise
- 2/3 C. spinach, washed and dried
- 4 slices of tomato
For the eggplant, preheat the grill. Mix the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp. of the basil together. Slice the eggplants lengthwise into half-inch slices. Brush the slices on both sides with the olive oil mixture. Grill the eggplant slices until they become soft in the center, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
For the sandwiches, mix the cheese, the remaining tsp. of basil, salt and pepper together. Set aside. Spread 4 halves of bread with the cheese mixture, then top with the spinach or arugula, a slice of tomato and a few slices of eggplant. Place the other half of the bread on top.
Yield: 4 servings