Grilled Sirloins and Red Onions with Blue Cheese Butter
- Blue cheese butter:
- 4 oz. (about 3/4 C.) creamy blue cheese, at room temperature
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 4 Tbs. chopped chives, divided
- For steaks and onions:
- 2 Tbs. dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 (1-inch thick) boneless sirloin steaks, each about 1 1/4 lbs., trimmed of excess fat
- 3 large red onions (about 2 1/4 lbs. total)
- 3 to 4 Tbs. olive oil for brushing on onions plus extra for greasing grill rack
- 4 to 6 metal skewers or wooden skewers (soaked for 30 minutes in water)
For the blue cheese butter, break cheese into small pieces and place in a mixing bowl along with butter and 3 Tbs. of the chives. Using a fork or spoon, blend the ingredients together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. (Blue cheese butter can be prepared a day ahead; bring to room temperature 30 minutes before using.) For steaks and onions, mix together thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Use half of the seasoning mixture to rub on both sides of each steak. Peel onions, then halve lengthwise and cut each half into 3/4-inch thick wedges going through the root ends. Divide wedges and place on skewers. Place olive oil in a small bowl, then brush onion wedges on all sides with it. Sprinkle remaining seasoning mixture over both sides of onions. When ready to cook, oil a grill rack and arrange 4 to 5 inches from heat source. Prepare grill for a hot (high temperature) fire. When grill is ready, grill skewered onions, turning often, until charred around the edges and tender. Onions will take about 20 minutes. When done, remove from grill and cover loosely with foil. After onions have been on grill 10 minutes, add steaks. Grill steaks until lightly charred outside and pink inside, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium rare. (Internal temperature should be about 145 degrees.) Halve each steak and arrange on a serving platter surrounded by onions. Top each steak with a generous dollop of blue cheese butter and sprinkle with remaining chives. Serve warm.
Per serving: 648 calories; 33 g fat (14 g saturated fat; 46 percent calories from fat); 15 g carbohydrates; 188 mg cholesterol; 645 mg sodium; 70 g protein; 3 g fiber.