Harvest Mexican Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 jumbo onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 med. carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with press
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 3 limes
- 12 oz. red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 14.5-oz. can vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 C. water
- 2 C. corn kernels cut from cobs (3-4 ears)
- 1 C. loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- plain tortillas chips, coarsely broken (optional)
In nonstick 5- to 6-quart saucepot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, carrots, garlic and jalapeno, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden, 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, from limes, grate 1/2 teaspoon peel and squeeze 1/3 cup juice; set aside.
Add potatoes, broth, salt and water to saucepot; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
Stir in cilantro, lime peel and lime juice. Ladle soup into 4 bowls; top with avocado and sprinkle with tortilla chips, if you like.
Each serving: About 350 calories, 8g protein, 58g carbohydrate, 14g total fat (2g sat.), 0mg cholesterol, 945mg sodium.