- 2 C. whole hazelnuts, toasted* (about 9 oz.)
- 3/4 tsp. confectioners' sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1 to 2 Tbs. vegetable oil (for blender method)
Food processor method: Place the toasted hazelnuts in a food processor container fitted with the metal blade. Process to a coarse texture (like crunchy peanut butter), about 3 minutes. Gradually add the sugar and salt. Scrape down sides; continue to process until desired texture is achieved, about 4 to 7 minutes. Shelf life is about 3 months in the refrigerator.
Blender method: Place toasted hazelnuts and 1 Tbs. of vegetable oil in blender container and grind to meal on low speed. Continue to blend on low for several minutes, scraping down sides of container as required and adding another Tbs. of oil, if necessary. When butter is fairly soft, blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until desired texture is achieved. Gradually add the sugar and salt; blend on low until thoroughly mixed.
* To toast hazelnuts, spread the shelled nuts in a shallow pan and roast at 275 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or until the skins crack. To remove skins, rub nuts while warm with a rough cloth.
Crunchy variation: Stir in 1/4 C. roasted, chopped hazelnuts or roasted (or raw) sunflower seeds to finished butter.
Makes about 1 C. butter.
Our Best Bread Recipes
Latest Recipe Collections
Looking to eat more meat? Stay away vegetarians, because this collection…
Are you in the mood to eat Italian? Skip the pasta and enjoy something…
Regular food gets old fast. Stuffed food is the new craze, and we're…