Healthy Yellow Rice and Black Beans
Serving Size / Yield
- 3/4 C. brown rice, uncooked, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 C. vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. oil
- 2 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 C. fresh cilantro
- 2 medium limes, quartered
Bring the vegetable stock to a boil and stir in the turmeric and brown rice. Bring the rice to a boil, stir once, and lower the heat. Cook for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed.
Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add 1 tsp. oil. Add in the onion, jalapeno, bell peppers, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the begin to brown on the edges. Remove from heat. Stir in the drained beans and cumin. Season with salt to taste. Let it stand, covered, for 5 minutes, then stir in the remaining 2 tsp.oil.
Divide the rice into 4 equal portions and top the plates with the bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Squeeze the lime wedges over all.