Hearty Sausage and Lentil Soup
- 1 lb. bag brown dried lentils
- 1 lg. yellow onion, diced
- 3 med. carrots, scraped clean and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs. sausage, out of the casing
- 1 sm. whole bulb garlic, diced
- 1/4 C. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28-oz. can beef broth
- water can be added as needed
- 1/4 C. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 C. fresh basil, chopped
- grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 C. fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 oz. orzo pasta
In a preheated stock pot or Dutch oven on medium high heat, add olive oil followed by the carrots, celery and onions. Cook about 5 minutes then add the sausage breaking it up into the vegetables until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Add the lentils stirring to coat then add the thyme and basil. Continue stirring then add the crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper, beef broth and water.
Return to a slow boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cover pot. Cook for about 1 - 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.Add orzo to the pot about 15 minutes prior to being done. When the soup is cooked, shut heat then add the parsley as well as the cheese and stir.
When ready to serve, drizzle a little olive oil in each bowl.