Homemade Grilled Croutons on Tomato Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 2 slices American or Cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbs. soft butter
- 1 1/2 C. chicken stock
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 C. Diced onion
- 1/2 tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbs. Olive oil
- 28 oz. puréed plum tomatoes
1) Coat a saucepan with olive oil and place over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and red pepper. Cook until onion is tender and browning.
2) Add the chicken stock and tomato purée to the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 mins.
3) Butter both sides of the bread and sandwhich the cheese slices between them.
4) Place the bread on a skillet over medium to high-heat and grill the bread, just like grilled cheese.
5) When the bread is golden-brown, remove from skillet and after letting cool for a few minutes, cut into cubes.
6) Serve soup warm and sprinkle croutons on top.