Homemade Tangy Sesame Orange Chicken
Serving Size / Yield
- For Chicken:
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/ 2 teaspoon of pepper
- For Sauce
- 1/3 cup of rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- For Side:
- 4 cups of white rice, cooked
In a saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups of water, orange juice, lemon juice, and soy sauce. Next, stir in brown sugar, ginger, rice vinegar, garlic, chopped onion, diced tomatoes, and orange zest. Cook until it boils then turn off the heat. Let it cool.
Place the chicken pieces in a Ziploc plastic bag. Pour 1 cup of sauce into the bag and seal it. Refrigerate for at least two hours. In another Ziploc plastic bag, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Add the marinated chicken pieces and shake to coat.
In a large skillet, place the chicken and cook over medium heat. Then set aside. Clean the large skillet and add the remaining sauce. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water. Then, stir it into the sauce. Toss in the chicken pieces and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Lastly, trickle the sesame seeds over the dish.
Serve over cooked white rice.