Honey Pumpkin Salad with Sage Croutons
- 1 sugar pumpkin or butternut squash (1 1/2 lbs.), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/4 C. honey
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- Eight 1/2inch-thick slices of country bread
- Roasted pumpkin seed oil, for brushing
- 5 sage leaves
- 1/4 C. pumpkin seeds
- 1 Granny Smith apple, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a bowl, toss the pumpkin with the honey and the melted butter. Spread the pumpkin on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 35 minutes, or just until tender; let cool. Arrange the bread on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven with the pumpkin for about 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Brush the toasts generously with pumpkin seed oil and rub with the sage leaves. Spread the pumpkin seeds in a pie plate; toast in the oven for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant. In a bowl, toss the apple with 1/2 Tbs. of the vinegar. In another bowl, toss the pumpkin with the remaining 1 1/2 Tbs. of vinegar. Season both with salt and pepper.
Set a crouton on each plate and top with the apple slices. Spoon the pumpkin salad and chopped persimmon over the apple slices. Garnish with the toasted pumpkin seeds and serve.
Yield: 8 Servings.