Indulgent Beef and Cheddar Cheese Casserole
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the baking dish
- 3 cups wide egg noodles (about 5 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch scallions (white and green parts), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- One 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups grated Cheddar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and oil a 2-quart baking dish. Boil a large pot of salted water, add noodles to the pot and cook according to package instructions. Drain and put in baking dish. Put sour cream, Parmesan and 1/4 teaspoon salt in baking dish.
Using a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add ground beef to skillet and stir until no longer pink. Add bell peppers and scallions to skillet and cook for about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for a minute. Sprinkle Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add diced tomatoes, stir and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 2 minutes.
Pour beef mixture over noodles in baking dish and sprinkle grated Cheddar cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and the edges begin to bubble. Cool the casserole for around 10 minutes before serving.