Irish Coffee Cupcakes
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 C. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 C. boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. instant-espresso powder
- 1/4 C. whole milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 C. granulated sugar
- 1/2 C. packed light-brown sugar
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1 C. heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tbsp. whiskey
- 1 pkg. Instant-espresso powder, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cupcakes: Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour water over espresso powder; let cool. Combine espresso with milk. Beat butter and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with espresso-milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour (batter may look broken).
2. Fill 15 cups (of two 12-cup muffin tins) three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool; turn out cupcakes from tins.
3. Make the frosting: Whisk together cream and confectioners' sugar until medium peaks form. Add whiskey; whisk until slightly stiff peaks form.
4. Top each cupcake with 2 tablespoons frosting; dust with espresso powder.