Kitchen Garden Ratatouille
- Cheesy Polenta (or 1 16 oz. pkg. refrigerated cooked polenta or 3 C. hot cooked rice):
- 2 3/4 C. water
- 1 C. cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 C. cold water
- 1/2 C. shredded Parmesan
- 1 small green sweet pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. cooking oil
- 1/2 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow summer squash or zucchini, sliced
- 1 large tomato peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 Tbs. snipped fresh basil
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbs. snipped parsley
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Fresh flowering basil sprig (optional)
Prepare Cheesy Polenta (or, if using, purchased polenta or rice according to package directions. Cover and keep warm). In a large saucepan bring water to boil. In a bowl combine cornmeal, salt, and cold water. Slowly add cornmeal mixture to boiling water in saucepan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture returns to boiling. Add shredded Parmesan cheese; cook, uncovered, over low heat about 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Makes 3 cups.
Meanwhile, in a 4-quart pot, cook sweet pepper, onion, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add eggplant; cook 5 minutes more, stirring frequently. Stir in summer squash or zucchini, tomato, snipped basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes more or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in parsley.
To serve, top warm polenta or rice with ratatouille mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over each serving and garnish each serving with flowering basil, if desired.
Yield: 4 main-dish servings